Sunday 14 February 2010

14 Feb 2010

Day 45:
Rie and I spent the Valentine's Day on Dartmoor, completing one of the walks in a book I had received for my birthday (from Ann), but inspired by one of the photos in another book I had received the week before for my birthday as well (a book titled, "Megaliths" from Biff). Although the clouds initially clung to the sky and the wind was very chilly, as the afternoon progressed the clouds disappeared and we were left with blue skies and sunshine... the most PERFECT walking weather! As we neared the end of our 5.5 mile walk, we finally arrived at the Merrivale standing stone rows in addition to other standing stones and a burial chamber. What a spectacular place... a place where you can spend a lot of time walking the rows and pondering their significance. After living in Plymouth for the past 3.5 years, this is only the 2nd set of standing stones (or Megaliths) that I have seen in the surrounding area. There are MANY, MANY more in Devon and Cornwall and I plan to get to as many of them as I can this year. Truly incredible stuff laid out in prehistoric times...


For more information about the area, check out: http://people.bath.ac.uk/prsrlp/kernunos/england/merrivsr.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment