Sunday 31 January 2010

31 Jan 2010

Day 31:
After successfully completing my HSE First Aid at Work refresher course, I drove home the circuitous route via Ford Park Cemetery. After finding the No Place Memorial earlier this week, I kept coming across information about Fork Park Cemetery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Park_Cemetery), established in 1845 in my search for information about No Place. Now, Ford Park is a cemetery that I've know about since my arrival in Plymouth and seen numerous times, but again, had never taken the time to explore before today. Generally, I don't find myself a fan of newer US and UK cemeteries as they are much too orderly (strict straight rows, etc.) and lack 'character' and sometimes even the Victorian ones don't do much for me compared to cemeteries I have visited in Mexico and Italy. However, Ford Park seems to have fallen out favour with Plymouth and has suffered greatly from neglect (unkempt graves, broken headstones, etc.), which has made it a much more interesting place to visit. Wandering through the maze of headstones, it would appear that the majority of graves date back to the 1800's to early 1900's, although there were a few more recent burials too. What struck me was the part where the servicemen from WWI were buried as they they were given the same slate grey headstones as seen at No Place Memorial. With paths criss-crossing the cemetery, it's a place that I will definitely visit again, especially when the wild flowers are blooming (April - July).

No comments:

Post a Comment