Thursday 25 February 2010

25 Feb 2010

Day 56:
Now that most of my demonstrating is over (well, I do a have a few more sessions in March and the field course trip to Roscoff, France in April), it's time to start focusing fully on my own research. Currently my attention has been focused on microbiology and trying to grow Labyrinthula zosterae, a marine protist that causes wasting disease in Zostera marina, on agar culture plates. After an initial inspection on Monday I found that instead of L. zosterae cultures, I had lots of fungus growing instead (see 26 Feb). So, it meant that I would have to try my hand at it again and start a 2nd batch of culture plates with the hope that I would be able to grow the correct species. Ann and I worked diligently at improving our aseptic techniques and fingers crossed that it will pay off next week when I take a look at the plates to determine growth. These were just a few of the plates we made...

No comments:

Post a Comment